There are multiple small issues with the Find and Replace dialog that create an impression of low quality:
- You can't find a string with a trailing space (for example, "GMAT "). This prevents you from doing a find-and-replace on the "GMAT " line prefix, for example.
- You can't replace something with nothing. This means that the dialog can't be used to remove text from a file (again, like removing the "GMAT " prefix).
- Alternating between Find Next and Find Previous doesn't do anything. You need to click them each twice.
- The name of the dialog (Find & Replace) doesn't match the name of the menu item (Find and Replace). The second version is more standard.
- The Tab key doesn't work when starting in the Find What box, but does work when starting from the other controls.
The trailing-space and replace-with-nothing issues are the biggest, but together these make the dialog cumbersome to use in ways that other software isn't.
Points of comparison include MATLAB, Notepad++, Outlook.